Treat yourself without the guilt this meatless Monday or next weekend, you can have your cake (or slice) and eat your burger too! This clean eating burger and lemon slice make for a great date night recipe.
Vegan, paleo, gluten and sugar free
Bunless Eggplant Falafel Burger
1 of my Cheats Falafel Patty : recipe found here Love Ya Guts Fermented Falafel Vegan Burgers
2 x slices of eggplant (thickly cut)
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
Handful of baby spinach
Handful of grated carrot
Handful of cucumber
Sauce/Mustard of choice – I used a gluten free mustard pickles sauce my Mum makes up!
Grill the eggplant by placing it in a grill pan, season with salt and oil
Grill for around 5 minutes each side
Put all the ingredients together to make your burger and enjoy!
I made an adaption of a recipe the wonderful collection of Wholefood Simply. I followed the recipe for the lemon topping but made my own coconut base
Find the recipe at this link: Wholefood Simply-Lemon Macadamia Slice
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp coconut butter melted (you could use normal butter
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Mix all ingredients together
- Press into a lined frayed and bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes
Lemon Topping from Wholefood Simply
- 2 cups macadamias or cashews
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper hanging over the sides for easy removal.
- Place the base ingredients into your processor and blend until the mixture resembles a fine, sticky crumb. Press the mixture firmly into the base of your prepared tin.
- Place the macadamias into your processor and blend until they form a smooth paste. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture over the base, level the top and place in the fridge or freezer to set.
- Slice and eat up!